Monday, October 11, 2010

Maşallah (Mashallah)

If you are wondering why I used this title for this entry, check this out:

"In the Middle East, Mediterranean, and South Asia, "Masha'allah" is also said as a way of warding off the superstition of the evil eye. Often when one asks whether someone is ailing, "Masha'allah" is inserted into the sentence." [1]

Since I added Melike's photo, I thought that it would be better to add a "Nazar Boncuğu" (evil eye stone) to prevent from evil eyes.

Evil eye, according to Wikipedia, "is a look that is superstitiously believed by many cultures to be able to cause injury or bad luck for the person at whom it is directed for reasons of envy or dislike. The term also refers to the power attributed to certain persons of inflicting injury or bad luck by such an envious or ill-wishing look.".

For me, evil eye is a force, like electromagnetic force, that you can not feel but you can see the impacts. You can not feel the radiation of your cell phone until you get closer to a speaker when the speaker starts buzzing. Like these forces, I believe that some people have the power of spreading evil eye beams. If you are weak, like an infant, you can easily get effected. I have heard stories about women who had the power of even killing infants and children by just looking at them. I know, it's spooky... But I also believe that evil eye stone can be used in order to prevent someone from evil eyes. The trick here is this: if you even think that you MAY get affected by an evil eye, you WILL get affected and this is why you HAVE TO wear an evil eye stone...
Since Melike is the most precious person for me, and since recently she is not sure if there is any evil eye on her, I thought a picture of an evil eye stone would help a bit. Besides, it suits this blog...
[1] Sopholatre, (2010). Masha'Allah. Wikipedia. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masha%27Allah